Saturday, July 14, 2007

Finding meaning

Part of the FreakOut for me is the realization that I lack faith. Faith in myself, faith in humanity, faith in the world. NewsWeek had an article a month or so ago about how our generation was raised in spirituality rather than within a traditional denomination. Sometimes I love this, sometimes I lament it. Why? Because with all the uncertainty, I just wish I could turn to some book, some prayer, some thing to restore my faith, give me hope, erase all of the pessimism. Where is it? Where can I look? Where do I go?

Finding meaning in nearly everything seems to be what's just happened to me. It's not what I wanted, not what I would have asked for but it seems like every book I read, fiction or nonfiction, has all these little nuggets of meaning for me. Quotes, ideas, subtle intimations at something more. Is this my faith? Are books the source of my spirituality?

Maybe I should become a librarian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was having a quarterlife crisis when inspiration struck for me to become a librarian. It's the best decision I ever made! You could get a job doing archival work and would hardly ever have to deal with people. Books are definitely where it's at. ;-)